Monday, April 30, 2012

I MAY Throw Up!

Well, its Monday  We start tomorrow, and I am getting that feeling in my stomach again.  I have been coaching about 25 years now, and I still get that "sick" feeling before every game, and before we start a new season.    Why?  I don't know, it just happens.  Its been this way with me since I was a kid.   Nerves I guess!   Generally before games, I get really keyed up and nervous; then, I go out back and throw up.  After that, I am good to go.  I have learned not to eat anything to heavy before games.  Food never taste as good coming up as it does going down.  Pretty Gross, huh?  LOL. 

Speaking of gross.  In the coaches portable, we still have food left in our refrigerator from last year.   We will fill the fridge with all sorts of things such as bottled water, sports drinks, bread, lunch meat, cake pops, leftover chicken wings, Publix fried chicken,...whatever.  Sometimes we will get the leftover food the church cooks (for the kids after games) and sometimes we will put leftover biscuits, gravy, chicken and grits that Marty may have cooked for Saturday morning breakfast.  Believe me, food does not last long around here.  The rule of thumb is:  If it enters the portable, it is fair game for everyone to eat.  We generally look at the food, and if it does not smell or look too bad, we will generally eat it during the week.  This year, at least the fridge was still plugged in; therefore, none of the food rotted too badly.  LAST year, the fridge was somehow up-plugged.  Now THAT was gross. 

Coach Jefferson has a magic backpack.  I have seen Jefferson pull all sorts of food from that thing. I think the backpack may have refrigeration as well.   Last year, I saw Jefferson pull out a fully cooked ham slice and enough stuff to make a sandwich.  I have seen him pull out sport's drinks, bottled water, chips, sunflower seeds and pizza from that thing.  When he reaches into the backpack, he may come out with Subway Sub, or he may come out with defensive playbook.  You just never know.  LOL.   On the serious side.  Chris is a fantastic young coach, and he is very good with the kids.  Someday, you will see him coaching at the next level. 

Back in the early days, I was never really sure if all the players were eating at home.  It was amazing how many parents would  just drop their kid off at practice and just assume the coaches would take them home.  I have taken many, many kids home at night to a completely dark house.  I would casually ask if they had eaten that day since school lunch.  Some would say: "I'm OK Coach"  This would (and does) just crush me.  I just had to make sure the player was eating.  I wish I had a nickle for every kid I bought home with me to eat. I may have been a hard ass on the field, but I had (and still have) a soft spot for my players.  I am going to make sure they have what they need. 

I am going to bed early tonight.  Tomorrow is a big day. 

Later. 




1 comment:

  1. A lot of people think coaching is just x's and o's and coaches being tough on kids. But coaching is about relationships! Kids knowing that can trust and count on the coaches (and each other). And it is about the coaches and our relationships with each other. It is like being brothers. We can give each other a hard time and everything is fair game!!! However, we would do anything for each other. Winning is awesome!!! But the reason we play football and coach football is about those relationships. It is a great feeling when a former player comes back after being out of football for several years and tells you thank you for helping make him a better man, husband, professional, and father!!!! That is why we do what we do....Coach Miller... P.S... Coach Jefferson is a great coach...one of the best I have worked with!

    ReplyDelete