Friday, May 11, 2012

Calm Before The Storm

We got in another full practice again today.  We had the kids in helmets and shoulder pads for our final practice before our big scrimmage day tomorrow.  We had a good long Indy period and a good 7 on 7 period as well.  The offense had a better day, and we are making progress.  I have been really focusing on blocking by the running backs during the Indy period.  The defense is giving us different looks, so our blocking assignments can be a little confusing to a young running back.  Before practice,  I had the group inside the portable classroom for some board work: TALK IT, CHALK IT, then WALK IT.  It is amazing to see the "light" go on inside a player's eyes when he finally understands what you are trying to teach.  Coach Wilson always said:  "Some players learn on the (chalk) board!"  Some Players learn by watching!"  "Some players learn by doing!"  I am still learning how to coach from Coach Wilson, for he is the guru of offense, and other than my father, Coach Wilson has taught me more about coaching than anyone else.  Once again: "Lessons in Life." 

Some theories suggest that you must coach every player the same way; however, I am not sure I agree with that theory.  I definitely coach the "skill kids" differently.  I believe that these kids have enough pressure on them from the beginning (especially the QB's)  If they mess up, the whole stadium sees it.  That is pressure enough.  I will take this opportunity and let the player TELL ME what they did wrong.  This can be a powerful teaching moment. You will often here me say: "Lets talk football: Why are we doing it this way?"  Or: "OJ, why is it important we do not block this guy?"  I will listen to their explanation and make sure they completely understand what we are trying to accomplish.  Constantly screaming at a skill kid is (most times) counter productive and he loses concentration.  Next thing you know, he is jumping off sides or completely forgetting his assignments.  Now, I do get aggravated sometimes, and I will "go-off" occasionally.  Coach Miller likes to get me riled up every now and then.  I will usually just fire a verbal assault his way, and we both look at each other and laugh.  WCC. 

Offensive linemen are different for sure.  These are tough and gritty kids who need to stay motivated to perform well.  The coaching volume is amplified with this type of kid.  An offensive lineman can mess up and sometimes get away with it, until we look at film.  "The eye in the sky don't lie"  Our coaches will teach technique, and teach proper steps.  When the same mistake keeps happening over and over, the coaching volume is raised considerably.  Most times, this simply pisses off the lineman and he will end up crushing his opponent the next play.  I love these big-ole dudes up front, because without them, the offense does not happen....period. 

The defensive kids catch hell.  Sometimes they will just pin their ears back and come right at you.  Jefferson, Miller, and Perry will work their kids into a frenzy and turn them loose.  When we scrimmage, it usually takes a series or two before everything settles down.  I wish we could work the Offensive kids into a frenzy, but if we did that, we would never get a play off cleanly.  SOMEONE would jump the count on every play.  We have to be constantly thinking about assignments and snap counts.  We have to think about coverages and adjustments.  I LOVE offense, but I ENVY the defense.  It is going to be nice having those guys on OUR team this year. 

Full report tomorrow. 
GZ

1 comment:

  1. Defense is about want to!!! It is great when we can see our kids getting fired up and ready to play. Motivation is a funny thing when you are dealing with high school kids. However, our staff has a ton of experience and I have learned a lot about how to motivate kids from Coach Wilson who is a Hall of Fame coach. He often speaks to the simple things. He says 'ask a kid did you eat lunch today'...a lot of things we take for granted our kids don't have. I count it a blessing to have been able to work with Coach Wilson and our staff over the years. I am a better coach, teacher, man, and father for it!!!

    ReplyDelete