Wednesday, May 23, 2012

We Are Ready.

Well, the preparation is over.  I am starting to get sick to my stomach. Today we completed the last practice of the Spring football season.  Amazing.  Two weeks ago I thought there was no way we would be ready to play ball tomorrow.  We had numerous rain delays and cancellations.  We had kids hurt.  We were short-staffed for about two weeks.  Somehow, we got the players ready to go.  Today was quite businesslike with the approach.  We all just went to work and attacked the task at hand.....winning this game tomorrow!  We are still up-in-the-air with Mason right now, for he has not been completely cleared to play.  However, I spoke with his mom tonight, and she expects him to be ready.  I already blogged about me  making the wrong decision on a player's health, so I am glad the decision is not on the coach's shoulder.

Marty is cooking for the team tomorrow.  She is preparing to feed about 80 players and coaches for our pre-game meal.  We are a public school, so there is not a lot of extra money to go around at the end of the year....even the booster club is tapped out.  Marty used to feed the JV team every game during the season, so she is used to making the huge quantity of food needed to feed these horses.  My business is supplying the food, and Marty is preparing it.  She will be serving Pot Spaghetti, Garden Salad, French Bread, and a couple of Cake-Pops per player.  Mason's Mom (Tracy) will be helping her serve.  Marty really enjoys cooking for the kids too.  In fact, she has been feeding the coaches (on Saturday) for years.  If the coaches had a choice between ME or Marty, they would choose Marty....no doubt.  Their stomach speaks loudly on her behalf. 

Coach Miller's daughter gave me a hug today.  I swear, she gets prettier every time I see her.  She informed me that she was trying out for cheerleader tomorrow. AHHHH, the memories of that!!  At the time, it seemed like life or death for any young girl, and I guess in their world...it is; nevertheless, I remember it being pretty political down in Vero.  I hope it works out well for her.  I told her: "Kristin always said to look the judges in the eye and smile!"  I saw Coach Miller point to her and shake his head YES.  I guess he agrees.  It is going to be interesting to see her mature; naturally, the football player's will be chasing her.  LOL.  I can see Miller's bald head turning red now!  Hey, I went through it, and Bethel is on the backside of it right now.  Luckily, the boys who wanted to date my daughter were also my football players.  I had a pretty good grip on that situation.........until years later when she married the damn QB.....Joe Westberg.  I remember Joe saying to me: "Coach, why does your daughter only go out with the Sissy Boys?"   I completely lost that battle.  However, I received the my best present in the world from the union between my daughter and the QB. 

When I found out Kristin was pregnant, I was NOT a happy camper.  I thought I was too young to be a good Grandpa, and I was not shy about showing my disapproval.  I thought Kristin should start her career, and THEN have a child a littler later in life.  She had a MASTER"s Degree from Vanderbilt, and I believed she should start using it.   I was so stupid and ignorant.  Kelsey was born on October 17h, 2005  I went to the hospital to see Kristin and the baby.  I sat in a chair; then Kristin placed that baby in my arms.  I sat there and cried like a pussy.  My life was changed forever.  I was immediately in love with that little girl, and I could not get enough of her.  I became a doting Grandpa, and I never expected for this to happen.  Kelsey reminds me so much of Kristin, and I guess that I may be trying to over compensate for me being such a lousy father.  I am a MUCH, MUCH better Grandpa than I was a father.  Kelsey is the Love of My life, and I do not apologize to anyone for saying it. 

I have another Grand baby too.  Her name is Kirby, and she is Kristin's and Joey's  second child born two year's ago.  I have not really bonded yet with the little, cute Kirby.  But, I am planning to do so this Summer.  Kirby looks like a little pistol, and I think she may be the athlete of the Westberg family.  That will be fun to watch.  I think I will start by biting the "tender meat" on her arm.  LOL  This will be so much fun. 


                                                   Kelsey and Kirby 

Anyway, that's all for this evening.  I report on the game tomorrow evening....the final blog entry until we start back in August.  This has been fun. 

GZ

1 comment:

  1. Nothing like game day!!! You wake up with a pep in your step and the day has even more purpose. At the same time you have that tingling in the pit of your stomach. On top of that (as coach mentioned) my daughter has cheerleading tryouts today. That little girl (who is turning into a young lady) means the world to me. I said a prayer with her in the truck this morning before I dropped her off at school. I know she will do well. She has prepared (and being a coach's daughter she knows about preparation) like crazy. She has practiced her routine the last two days. She even filmed it and watched herself over and over... I know she will do fantastic...I drove off with a tear in my eye!!!
    I think we are ready to go for tonight!!! Thanks to Marty and Tracy for the meal. I know the coaches and players really appreciate what those ladies do for us. The coaches will make the final preparations (printing call sheets, double checking personnel, and the like) throughout the day. Our staff is pretty loose on game day. We have been together for a long time and we know each other very well. More importantly we trust each other and that is the key. We know everyone is going to do their job!!! GO SHARKS!!!

    ReplyDelete