Sunday, May 6, 2012

DAY OFF.....or Is It?

Today is Sunday, and we had the day off.  So, why did I spend about an hour and half up at the field?  Sunday's are a good day for me to get some miscellaneous work done that I can't get done during the week.  I needed to check on our ice machine again today.  Yesterday, I noticed the machine was not running and the ice level was getting low.  I checked the circuit breaker, and it was tripped.  I flipped it back into position, and the ice machine fired back up.  Why did it trip in the first place?  I have my suspicions, but I notice that it is VERY hot in the Ice Room.  I think the darn thing is overheating.  Ice is so important to us right now, and we use a lot of it.  I would hate to lose it. 

Next, I decided to clean out the disgusting refrigerator in the coaches portable.  In an earlier posting on this blog, I talked about how we still had food left from LAST SEASON in the fridge.  So, I grabbed a large trash can and pulled it into our portable.  I opened the refrigerator door and started throwing EVERYTHING away.  Truthfully, it was sort of a trip down memory lane.   I threw away some homemade Mexican food that Big G's mom made for us last September.  We had some old cake pops that Marty made for us sometime last fall, and I threw away countless jars of peanut butter, jelly, mustard, ketchup, butter bowls, bread, and BBQ sauce.  I threw away half containers of sports drinks, water, cool aid, and soda.  Some of the stuff had rotted into a sticky goo in the very bottom  (under the drawers) of this old refrigerator.  Remnants of old roaches littered the entire box.  LOL.  After throwing away all this food, I unplugged it and went to work.  BLEACH, BLEACH and more bleach.  After about and hour of cleaning, the old fridge looked and smelled decent again.  I was sort of proud of myself.  Now, we can start loading it up again. 

Some of you may be asking what is a portable?  Our portables (we have 2) are mobile classroom that once housed students.  I would guess that each portable measures (20' x 40') When the school system stopped using ours, they gave them to us.  Actually, they are perfect for what we need.  We have these large "white boards" mounted on two walls (to diagram plays and so forth) and a huge meeting table in the center of the room.  We have video equipment and a large screen in this room as well.  We gather here to watch video of different events.  We also have coach's lockers, and a small storage area in this building.  This air-conditioned building sure feels good after a long day on the field.  This room is sort of our base-of-operations for the football team.  The practice field is right outside the back door, and the stadium is just outside out front door.  Yes, us coaches are disgusting, and our room may not be the cleanest in the world, but this is OUR ROOM and we like it. 

Back to work tomorrow. 

GZ

1 comment:

  1. Coaches are never off the clock. My weekend was spent reviewing the film of Saturday's scrimmage. We, as coaches, are attempting to achieve the impossible... Perfection...we know it won't happen but we sure do try!!! After studying the film from Saturday, I made some notes and made sure I am ready to point out the things we did well and correct what we did wrong!!! A motto that we gave the defensive kid (which we try live out in our actions)...'Grind with a purpose'

    ReplyDelete