Tuesday, May 8, 2012

RECRUITING

Lightning and rain got us again today.  We started practice as usual, and we got in about half of it.  We rushed through stretch and Indy, and we could see the rain coming.  Coach Bethel called up the team for a spirited "Inside Run" and 1/2 line scrimmage.  I love the inside run, for this is what I cut my teeth on.  I am focusing my Indy period (for the backs) on blocking drills and just being physical.  Coach Miller and I  have an unspoken agreement.  He knows I have a few young wingbacks,  so I asked that he purposely misalign his LB's to see how the wingbacks would react.  Truthfully, it did not really matter.  His outside LB's are so talented that they can misalign and still make a play.   It is great to see such a good group of defensive players.  They are sure flying around the ball.  Miller had done a great job this Spring. 

I have never seen so many college recruiters in my life.  We have several players who could possibly play football at the next level, so the colleges are coming out of the woodwork.  This is definitely "prime time" for college recruiting.  All of the colleges are done with their own spring training, so their coaches are on the road for most of May to see high school players from all over the country.  We have one player- a defensive player,  who is a true blue-chip prospect.  We are seeing recruiters from all over the country stop by to see this player practice.  It is great to see SRHS get some exposure. 

Our head Coach is Randy Bethel.  Randy is a local boy who starred at Vero Beach High School, and earned a scholarship to the University of Miami.  Randy played for Miami (The U ) when they were the most feared,and most talented team in college football.  Bethel has two National Championship rings to prove it.  Randy was recruited by Butch Davis, and he played for Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson during the late 80's and early 90's.  His teammates are a virtual Who's-Who of fantastic college and professional football players including: Michael Irvin, Randy Shannon, Vinnie Testaverde, and on and on.  I love to listen to the old Miami football stories that Randy tells every so often, and he drops these names like it's no big deal.  If you have not already done so, go get an ESPN copy of 30 on 30 and look for the episode called "The U."  It pretty much tells the story. 

Bethel has mellowed over the years, but he can still throw-down if he has to.  I can see the intensity that he undoubtedly  showed to earn a scholarship, and I will bet he was a real handful back then.  I often wonder if Bethel's coaching style is modeled after any particular coach, or if he modeled himself after a mixture of coaches.  Afterall, Randy played ball for some of the best coaches in the business.  Sometimes, I really feel for our Tight Ends.  Bethel played tight end in college, and I am sure he was a play maker as well.  I can see "the look" in Randy's eyes when our tight ends miss a pass, or miss a block. LOL.  Hey BETHEL, we all did not play at "THE U!" 

More Tomorrow. 

GZ

No comments:

Post a Comment