Sunday, May 13, 2012

Ft. Benning Memories

It"s Sunday,  so we had the day off.  I spent the day working on another project for the football staff.  We have these EXPENSIVE Porta-Phone headphones we use on game days.  These phones enable the coaching staff to communicate with each other (and the press box) on a noisy game night.  Each one of these headphones has a base unit which has rechargeable batteries.  We had these base units plugged in all over the place.  It was a confusing mess.  I made a charging cart so we can charge all the batteries and store the units in one location.  Only one A/C outlet will be needed.  This cart should make it easier for us to keep track of the headphones.  Tomorrow,  the kids do not have school, for it is a teacher work day.  We are giving the kids a day off from football tomorrow as well.  I love this idea, because I think the players will be refreshed and be ready to go on Tuesday.  Fresh legs usually means a good practice.  This day off will also get us back on schedule for our 20 Days in May  we are allowed during spring. 

I finally heard from my son Mike yesterday too.  He called me from Germany, and gave me a quick rundown on what is happening.  I really can't say more than this.  Mike's military career has changed the way I look at everything it seems.  Mike is a Cavalry Infantry soldier, and his job is no joke.  Mike is assigned to the 2nd Cavalry Stryker Unit based in Vilsek, Germany. After leaving college, Mike decided to enlist in the United States Army.  His entry scores allowed Mike to do just about anything in the Army, but Mike chose to be an Infantry Soldier.  Mike told me: "Dad, I spent the last 16 years of my life behind a desk in school, and I want to do something different!"  Boy, was this an understatement.  Mike was about to benefit from the "Lessons in Life" football taught him.

Mike came home from school, and we (him and I)  trained like a dog to get him ready for boot camp.  We ran and ran, and Mike did hundreds of push-ups and sit-ups to prepare for the unknown.  After a trip to see my father in Kentucky, I reluctantly dropped Mike off to the recruiting station in Bowling Green, KY.  By that evening, Mike reported to his MOS in Nashville, Tennessee.  Eventually, he reported to Ft. Benning, Georgia for basic training.  You will have to read his blog for stories about basic training, but I can give you a parent's view.  For me, it was hell.  I did my best to write letters and keep him motivated.  I would send pictures of his dog, I would sent movie quotes, I would send quotes from famous football coaches or famous people.  I would do anything to keep him on track.  I once wrote Mike a heartfelt letter saying that I was running every mile with him.   I was doing every sit-up or push-up with him. I was standing right behind him on every drill.  I was getting yelled at by the Drill Sergeant (DS)  too.  He was not alone.  I was there with him every step he took. 
I could almost feel the pain and/or jubilation Mike was experiencing.  The whole period was very surreal for me. 

Me and Kristin (and the baby) visited Mike during family day at Ft. Benning.  Kristin and I drove onto the base, and I got cold chills running down my body.  We walked up to his barracks and his Drill Sergeant (DS) welcomed us at the door.  After the door was opened, the barrel chested DS barked an order and every soldier dropped to the floor and started doing precision push-ups in unison.  The DS said to us:  "Go find your soldier"  Mike was all the way in the back of the barracks.  Finally, he could stand up and greet  me and Kristin.  I was shocked.  Was this really my son? 

Mike was tall and tanned.  His body was well muscled and tight.  His head was completely shaved.  He looked great in his green pants and light green shirt.  His belt buckle and his shoes were perfectly polished.  He looked every bit of the military man he was trying to be.  Then, he wanted me to meet his DS.  Now, lets get something straight.  I have met some famous coaches in my day; therefore, I have never been intimidated by meeting anyone....until now.   I shook hands with this man and looked him straight in the eyes.......... and I could see it.  Alpha Dog.  This guy could kill me at any time; however, this DS was also turning my son into a man.  I was so appreciative of this instructor.  Mike may have hated him, but I completely in awe of what he was trying to do.  Mike had specific orders on what he was allowed to do, and what he was not allowed to do.  He had exact orders on what time he was to return to base.  No exceptions.  Needless to say, we followed those orders.

 Here is a funny story.  During basic training, soldiers are not allowed to have any kind of candy or sweets.  When we picked Mike up for family weekend, all Mike wanted was a soda, and maybe some candy.  So, we visited a convenience store on base.  Mike gets out of the car all dressed up with his black beret on his head and walks into the store.  Mike mingles a little bit, and I see this older guy (obviously military in civilian clothing) walk straight up to Mike  and take the beret off his head.  I thought Mike was going to piss his pants!  This guy stares down Mike.  Mike nervously says to this man: "Sir, I am sorry.  This is my first time out since basic training."  Truthfully, I was even scared for Mike!  Luckily, this Officer was cool and let it go.  I later found out that the beret is never worn indoors.  Mike told me that this could have been real trouble for him. 

About six weeks later, it was time for Mike to graduate basic training.  Several family members drove to Ft. Benning to see this event.  We all went to this large staging area and grand stands to see the ceremony.  About this time, we hear fake bombs going off, fake machine gun fire, and up the hill comes our soldiers (dressed in Class A Uniforms)  marching with their unit.  There were hundreds of soldiers marching in perfect unison with their own DS barking cadence.  Since Mike was the tallest in the unit, he was right up front, and he was responsible for his group's alignment.  Tears flowed down my face as I watched my soldier.  FINALLY, it was time for the ceremony.  Once basic training is completed, an Infantry soldier is awarded a Lt. Blue Cord to be worn on his right shoulder along with a set of Brass Cross Rifles in a light blue base.  The Commanding Officer said during the ceremony that he would be honored to to personally pin the soldier with his Blue Cord, but the soldier could choose anyone he wished to perform this honor.  Mike pointed to the stands and asked me (with his eyes) to come pin the cord on his uniform.  I walked out of the stands (along with many other parents) and stood in front of my 6' 5" soldier.  Mike stuck out his hand to shake.  Deep in his palm was a set of Military Cross Rifles identical to the ones he was wearing.  Mike said: "Dad, you have earned these right along with me."  I was a great honor to pin the cord on my son.  Again, tears flowed down my face.  I was so proud of Mike. He was flying on his own.....without an overbearing father to push him.   Mike is my hero. 

More Tomorrow

1 comment:

  1. Awesome story!!! I had the pleasure to be one of Mike's teachers in high school as well as one of his football coaches! He was a kid that was always wearing a smile on his face and was sure to say something funny(as long as you understood his sense of humor). Thank the good Lord above for young men like Mike (and their parents) for protecting our freedom! Mike, you are always in my thoughts and prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete