Saturday, September 22, 2012

DAY OFF.....Doing Laundry!

Heading To The OK Corral
 
"I Believe We Started A Game We Never Finished. Play For Blood, Remember? "
 
Johnny Ringo 
 
Tombstone is probably my favorite movie of all time.  I will bet I have seen this western AT LEAST 25 times.  This movie has so many quotable lines that it has become part of my normal vocabulary.  My son Mike and I will often exchange these lines via Email or text message for no reason whatsoever.  Look at the excitement in the eyes of Johnny Ringo when he agrees to a gunfight with Doc Holiday (pictured above) 

Hey, I feel much better tonight...but I am still exhausted.  I got up around 8:30am this morning and went down to my office for a couple of hours.  I was happy to have some time away from football to recharge my batteries.  But guess what I did?  That's right, I went down to the school to put in some laundry.  In fact, I made three different trips down to school to make sure it all got done today.  But, guess what else I did?  You guessed it!  I WATCHED football all day on TV.  I also washed our wrist bands from the game on Friday night.  They were really starting to smell.......or STINK!

After the game, we load all the dirty game uniforms into these huge garbage cans.  The jerseys go into one can, the pants go into another, the socks into another and so on.   Then, the cans are loaded into a truck (generally mine) and I take them up to the school laundry.  For the next couple of days, we will eventually get to all of it.  But, last night was different.  The uniforms were SOAKED with sweat and rain.  I mean you could actually wring out the clothing with your hands.   I arrived to the laundry this morning and opened the entrance door.  I thought the smell would knock me down. 

The uniforms were completely soaked with sweat from the first half of play, and they were completely soaked with rain the second half of the game.  As the uniforms sat in the garbage cans, the sweat and water started seeping out of the clothing and gathered at the bottom of each can....sort of making a 'sweat soup'   Mix in the the mud and dirt, along with some blood, spit, and athletic tape, and it resulted in a mixture that looked like some sort of CHOWDER.    I grabbed the jerseys on top of the can and started throwing them in the washer (along with a healthy dose of Oxi-Clean)  That process was not too bad until I hit the bottom of the can.  Then I about gagged.  I sucked it up and grabbed a handful of clothing and immediately flung some of the "Sweat Soup Chowder' into my mouth and all over my clean clothes I was wearing.  Then, I did gag and about vomited.  I could not wait to get home and change my shirt.  My dog Raleigh greeted me at the house and started sneezing....then I knew I smelled bad.  So, I fought that stuff all day long, and I just about got it all done.  Tomorrow, I will take all the clean clothes back down to our equipment room to get ready for the next game. 

We have a bye week coming up.  This week's practice sessions will be less game specific, but I will imagine that Bethel will keep the team focused even on our off week.  This will be a good time to rest our legs and heal those minor aches and pains which is normal for this time of year.  I welcome the break.  Tomorrow I will be breaking down and grading our game video.  I will let you know what I saw. 

GZ

No comments:

Post a Comment