Saturday, October 13, 2012

Big VICTORY and a GREAT NIGHT!

 
Kelsey Cheering At Game 
 
 
Kelsey in Cheerleading Uniform 
 
Kelsey & Kirby Before Game 
 
Marty Holding Grice in Stands 
 
Last night was a very special for me, not because we won a big game, but because I had an opportunity to be young again....just for a couple of hours.  I first started with Sebastian River High School (SRHS) 16 years ago when Coach Bethel first came in.  I remember being on the field and looking over to the sidelines to watch my daughter Kristin cheering.  Last night, I looked over to the sidelines to see my granddaughter Kelsey cheering her little butt off with the varsity girls.  A flood of memories hit me, and I had a special special evening showing off my grandkids to whomever would listen to my emotional bragging.  In fact, I had my QB (Hakeem Rainey) down on the other side of the field just talking, and I pointed to Kelsey and said: "Look at that!"  Bethel would have had a cow if he seen (or heard) me do that, but that's OK, I would have gladly taken his criticism.  Of course, I introduced my family to all my friends, and showed off all three grandkids to my coaching colleagues.  I know it sounds stupid, but Kelsey even got a cool drink of water from my infamous water cows after the game.  Even THAT was special for me....because all of you know how much I talk about those pain-in-the ass water machines.  (By the way, FRED is doing much better after his heart-lung transplant) 
 
I would like to thank everyone at SRHS who allowed me to bring Kelsey down to the field.  Special thanks to all the VARSITY Cheerleaders who adopted Kelsey and made sure she felt at home on the sidelines.  Kelsey was included in EVERYTHING the young girls did during the game, and I will never forget their kindness in making this happen for me.  Also, very special thanks to Delaney Miller (Coach Miller's daughter) for taking Kelsey under her wing and showing her where to go before the game and during the game. 
 
By the way.  We defeated PSL 26-21 on Friday night bringing our record to 4-2.  PSL played very well and kept the game close all evening.  Their QB (DJ Juste) is very special, and I believe you may see that dude playing on Saturday somewhere.  He is the best QB I have seen in at least three years.  Our defense made some adjustments in the second half and shut him down for the most part.  Pork Chop and Brandon Jones both had big games, and of course Javonte and Bookie had their excellent good game.  I noticed that our two Freshmen- Pat Bethel and Terrell Washington- both got some quality playing time on Friday evening as well.  In fact, I think Patrick even started.  I am sorry about not knowing this for sure, but I am pretty certain Pat was forced to start due to a couple of players being out for the game.  We played without James Clark and Gage Moak for the entire game.  Both are expected back for this week.  I generally don't speak with the defensive players at all during the game.  We all have our own positions to coach, so none of us will really say too much to the the other kids unless it is something blaring which needs to be corrected immediately.   Mostly I am a cheerleader for them; HOWEVER, I will speak with Mason at times when I see something.  Last night he came off the field and I said.  "Mason, I know Coach Miller well enough to say that you have to get off your blocks a little quicker."  Always respectful, Mason said :"OK Coach!"  He made some nice adjustments during the second half and played well.  I was proud of him. 
 
The Offense finally got rolling on Friday night too.  All three of our running backs had close to 100 yards of rushing a piece.  All three of them scored on nice runs, and Nate had a few nice catches to add. This kid is so dangerous...he can hurt you from the ground or from the air.  OJ Jefferson is a beast.  He is a two-way player who is outstanding on both sides of the ball.  His speed is deceiving.  He runs just like Eric Dickerson used to run...straight up but powerful!  I was very happy with Hakeem on Friday night as well.  He made some great decisions and did not turn the ball over all night long.  Rainey can be so much fun to coach sometimes....especially when he is 'feeling it'.  I try not to let anyone else speak with Hakeem (except Coach Wilson) when he comes off the field.  I want to be the first one to greet him....good or bad.  Most of the time we just exchange what he is seeing or experiencing up close.  Maybe he made a bad throw, or maybe he made a fantastic throw....I just try to stay positive and calm when addressing him. He has enough pressure during the game without me adding to his emotions even further.  
 
Will check in tomorrow! 
 
GZ
 

No comments:

Post a Comment