Thursday, October 18, 2012

Walk Thru Today. Going to Puke.


"It’s so hard for me to sit back here in this studio, looking at a guy out here, hollering my name!—When last year I spent more money, on spilled liquor, in bars from one side of this world to the other, than you made! You’re talking to the Rolex wearing, diamond ring wearing, kiss stealing, whoa! wheelin dealin’, limosuine riding, jet flying son of a gun and im having a hard time holding these alligators down!”
- Ric Flair

Do I really need to say more?  Did you really think i was getting away from Ric Flair?  The young people today think that "The Rock" or "Stone Cold Steve Austin" really started the popularity of professional wrestling.  Truth is, guys like Bruno Sammartino, Pedro Morales, The Assassins, Dory and Terry Funk, The Brisco Brothers, Ernie "The Cat" Ladd, and Harley Race layed the groundwork for the sport as we know it.  But NO ONE worked the camera like Ric Flair.  People hated Flair's cocky attitude which made him even more popular with me!  Whoooooooo! 

This is Thursday, and we will have a quick practice and run-thru for our game tomorrow night.  We have a lot of work to do today to get ready for the long travel game tomorrow night.  We are giving out Thursday practice stuff first, then we are giving out game tote bags, jerseys, pants, socks, and Friday shirts for travel.  We have to get the trailer loaded and ready to roll, and make sure we have everything we will need.  We still have JV uniforms up in the laundry which needs to come down, and we will have tons of laundry to do over the next few days. 

We will fly through our practice today.  We will hit on every aspect of our game plan in this very short time.  We will clean up any issues we have with special teams, and make sure we are clean with our play cards etc..  I am not sure if Peabody will be cleared, so if he is not, we will make sure we are covered in the spots where he played. 

I am getting ready to leave work right now.  I have to stop by Winn Dixie to pick up a box of Bananas for practice today.  This Caribbean Fruit is supposed to supply Potassium which helps prevent cramping during the game.  I don't know if it works or not; however, it sure beats drinking pickle juice.  A few years ago, there was a rumor that drinking pickle juice actually helped with cramping issues, so we encouraged the kids to try it.  I  tried it as well, and I visited the toilet several times that day. It tore my stomach up.  Maybe I drank too much, I don't know.  Coaches are willing to try anything to get an advantage. 

When I played, we only had a water hose on the sideline.  However, Gatorade (the sports drink) was first coming on the scene.  Our coaches thought they could help the drink out a little more by adding pure salt to the mix. We were forced to drink it whether we liked it or not.  It was NASTY stuff to drink, and I hated it.  To this day, I will not drink Gatorade, Power Aid, or any other type of sports drink at all.  Just the sight of that stuff sitting in the coolers makes me want to puke....and I already have enough issues with that. 

I have already begun breaking down the Forest Hill video from LAST YEAR when we played them.  There have been no coaching changes, so the breakdown will still be pertinent.  Coaches are creatures of habit, so they will not make wholesale changes to their system from year to year.  So, I can get a good look at their defensive alignments against our offensive alignments, and get a pretty good idea of what we need to be working on.  Now, if there is a new coaching staff in place, then there will obviously be major changes made. 

That's it for today.  Lots of work to do.  Will check in after game tomorrow. 

GZ

No comments:

Post a Comment