Sunday, October 7, 2012

Homecoming VICTORY!


Zach Finnegan Looking GOOD at Homecoming parade! 
 
 
(L-R)  Shelvick, Clay, Pork Chop, Hakeem at Homecoming Parade!
 
 Rose Morgan- A Former Sharks Cheerleader- Leads her girls down the Parade Route!
 
 
We had a big homecoming parade last Thursday a day before our game against Olympic Heights.  Truthfully, I thought the whole thing was going to be a big joke, and we were being forced to participate in it.  I was WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!  The parade was a big success and I was thrilled to be part of it.  Those of you who know me realize that I am not exactly "Mr.Social" when it comes to things like this...in fact, I HATE things like this.  However, the parade was really nice and well organized.  I believe there were 17 floats in the parade, and numerous organizations and businesses participated in the event as well.  Mr. Michael Stutzke (our Athletic Director) was a key organizer of the parade, and hopefully it will be a yearly event for now on.  Our kids had fun, and we (the coaches) enjoyed walking the parade route.  To everyone involved:  Thank You!  It meant a lot to all of us.  GREAT JOB! 
 
 
Do you guys get tired of me apologizing for not keeping up with my blog?  Again, I am sorry.  We had so much to do before, during, and after the game that I just did not have time to write, and when I tried to write during the evening, I would fall asleep at the computer.  So, tonight I decided to start writing early while working on my wristbands for next week. 
 
 
 
                                   Marty's Laminator comes in Handy for Me! 
 
We had tough 17-14  VICTORY on Friday night.  Of course, the weather did not  cooperate with us, and it poured rain most of the night.  It was a sloppy mess the whole evening.  Both teams matched up well, and it was a quality victory for us.  Olympic Heights (OH) is in our district, and they were much improved from last year. I think we drilled them 58-0 last year, but they have a new coach and an experienced team this year, and they played much better.  They have some good-looking kids at every position.  During warm-ups, they made a critical mistake of stomping on our midfield logo painted on the field.  They MAY HAVE uttered a few choice word toward our side during warm-ups, and this just pissed off our kids.  It may have been counter-productive on their part. 
 
Overall, the game was evenly matched, and it went back and forth all night long.  The defense played well all night long, and kept us in the game.  Our offense played well, and we moved the ball pretty well on a soaked field which made the field slippery, and made the footing difficult at best.  OJ Jefferson and Nate Pryor carried the load for us, and Nick Cooper had some success as well.  We got our big Tackle/TE (Matt Lytle- 'Home School' ) back this week, and he played with a head full of fire all night long.  It was nice to have his enthusiasm back on the field.  Finally, with 3:48 left on the clock, our kicker- Aaron Roberson, made a 42 yard field goal to make the score 17-14 to close out the game.  I could not wait to go inside and dry off, and I am sure the kids felt the same way. 
 
Kickers are weird dudes!  Most of the better kickers are soccer players who are recruited to play football.  They all wear these weird colored soccer shoes made by weird sounding manufacturers I have never heard of.  They generally practice on their own, and most coaches (except Coach Wilson) are afraid to say anything to them....in fear we might jinx them.  I mean, I know the basics on how to kick the ball, but I don't pretend to know anymore than that.  I just say to Aaron:  "Just kick the damn ball between the uprights"  or "Kick the ball into the end zone!"  THAT'S IT!  That's all I will say except for "Great Job" or something like that.   Apparently, Aaron is also a great soccer player too.  I know this much, this kid has a very special leg, and he could go to college just with his football kicking skills alone!   
 
 
 
Wore BLUE on White for the game!  The players also wore various pink colored items for "Breast Cancer Awareness" month!  #2 is Nate Pryor. 
 
We did not have much time to celebrate toe homecoming victory on Friday night.  We immediately moved on to Port St. Lucie who we play at home next Friday night.  This will be a big game for me.  Guess what?  My girls (Kristin-Kelsey-Kirby) and my Grandson (Grice) came here to visit with us for a few days.  I am hoping Kelsey can be with me on the sidelines for the game.  I talked with the cheerleading coach about having Kelsey hang out with the cheerleaders during the game, and she was excited about having her.  This will be emotional for me.  I remember looking over my shoulder seeing Kristin (my daughter) cheer on the sideline as well.  Now, I guess the cycle starts all over again. 
 
 
                     My BABIES are with me!  Kelsey (Left) and Kirby (Right) 
 
My life is complete.  My girls are here, and my Grandson is here too!  I want to be near these babies.
 
 More this week! 
 
GZ 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment