Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Game Cancelled Until Monday!

 
 
Hurricane SANDY Official Forecast 
 
Who gets a hurricane in late October?  Can you believe this?  Most of the games this weekend  (with Palm Beach County Schools) have been cancelled until Monday.  This storm will not give us any problems because it is forecast to remain well offshore; however, the bands of weather surrounding the storm will dump some rain on us, and gusts of wind (above 30MPH) are expected on Thursday and Friday.  Unfortunately, school buses are not allowed to operate when wind gusts are above 30 MPH, so transportation is impossible.  I hate this because we are ready to play.  One never knows what will happen between now and Monday night.  At least all schools are playing within the same rules. 
 
I am so tired of dealing with the weather down here.  We have got more than our share of boiling weather and more than our share of rain and lightning storms.  Now, we have to deal with hurricanes right in the meat of our season.  It really sucks.  When I was in South Carolina, it was great to enjoy the colder weather during football season, and climbing or sitting in that deer stand was just a little easier when you were not drenched with sweat before you got there.  I have just about had it with this place some people call "Paradise."  Paradise my ass. 
 
For what it's worth, we are ready to play.  We had a great few days of practice, and the kids are primed and ready.  We are healthy for the most part.  I am happy to get some of the JV kids to help us practice.  They (we) sure have some nice looking kids.  I was able to work with a few of their skill kids directly this week, and I came away pretty impressed with their athleticism.  Surprisingly, we have some nice receivers in the bunch, and I really like the young QB (Cameron) too.  He is becoming my right-hand man on the field. Cameron is willing to help me with anything I do (off the field) and he seems to work hard on the field.  I will say this:  The kid is not afraid to compete against the varsity,  and he will take a hit and do what he is supposed to do when playing scout QB. 
 
Miller is just about ready to blow his top.  All this uncertainty about the game just drives him crazy.  Billy is one of those dudes who has a set routine for everything he does.  He is very organized on and off the field, and breaking his weekly routine on game week is going to keep him on edge.  I think I may find some ways to pick at him a little bit just for fun.  I may hide his ball bag, or I may steal his binder with all the (opponents) offensive plays written on them.....all in fun of course.  Miller and I say some god-awful things to each other (all week long) during practice.  Sometimes we sound like the arguing is very heated, and even the players and coaches look at us funny like we are really going at it.  Every now and then we will lock eyes and sort of grin at each other.  WE KNOW it is all in fun, but the kids and coaches are not really too sure.   Miller is one of my best friends on the staff, and I enjoy working with him.....even if he is an ass.  (I will hear something about this tomorrow! LOL) 
 
I have always had fun with the other coaches....sometimes at their expense.  We had a young-buck coach name Roger T on the staff at one time.  He was a former Vero Beach Fighting Indian  Linebacker who went on to play ball at Troy University.  He came back to Indian River County to teach and coach on our staff.  Roger was a young cocky dude, and he was not exactly known for his work habits while he was here....fact is that he was just plain lazy at times.  Of course, the coaches picked up on this, and we were constantly messing with him.  Roger used to argue with (Coach Kris) our defensive coordinator about the defensive calls or linebacker positions.  Roger would say: "I PLAYED THE POSITION, I KNOW!!"  More than once, it came back to bite him in the ass.  I would do all sorts of things to aggravate Roger...like hiding his ball bag, or hiding just one of his practice shoes, or fill his whistle with mud...anything to piss his off.  However, he always thought it was someone else doing it.  Roger would say: "Zaleuke, you the only one man, the only one!"  meaning I was the only one who never messed with him.  On the contrary, I was the main one who messed with him.  I used to say: "Roger, I am going to help you find who did this!"  I did not have to look too hard.  I was standing directly in front of him.   Roger had a habit of forgetting his game gear on game days.  More than once, Roger coached the game in blue jean shorts and a polo shirt.  During one span, Roger forgot his stuff two weeks in a row.  Randy warned Roger not to forget his stuff the following week during an away game.  We travelled in a motor coach back then, and I noticed that Roger neatly hung up his game shirt and khaki pants in his seat area.  We arrived at our destination and got off the bus.  Later, I got back on the bus and stole Roger's clothing and hid it all in the bathroom.  Randy said: "OK Fellas, let all get dressed for the game.  Roger, you got your stuff?"  Roger went back to the bus, and all his clothing was gone.  I could hear him telling Randy: "Coach, I SWEAR I had the clothes when I got on the bus!"  I said:  "Hey Roger, why don't you wear a poncho?"  Coach Wilson said: "You can't wear on poncho if its not raining!"  I laughed and laughed that day.  Finally, I FOUND his clothes in the bathroom and swore I was going to bring the stealing culprit to justice!.  Man, that was funny.  Roger did not last another season with us. 
 
Later:
 
GZ

No comments:

Post a Comment