Saturday, October 20, 2012

We Are ROLLING 35-0

 
Hakeem Rainey QB
 
 
Austin Hatch- QB
 
 

OJ Jefferson- RB/DB/Athlete 
 
Here are three of our athletes dressed in our road uniforms....and pink socks for Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  I work closely with Hakeem and Austin everyday, and they both are great kids.  They are as different as night and day (athletically) but they can both get the job done.  Hakeem is the starter for our team, but Austin is always ready to go and give us quality snaps without a drop off.  The bottom athlete is OJ Jefferson.  Again, he is a fantastic athlete, very well mannered, and a true physical specimen. He is just a good-looking young man.  OJ starts and plays on both sides of the ball for us, and he is probably our best athlete. 
 
VICTORY!   We won Friday night 35-0 in a must-win district game for us.  This victory keeps us on a collision course with South Fork for the District Championship in two weeks.  First, we must beat Forest Hill next week to put us in the championship game.  The whole day was a little screwed up to be honest with you.  First of all, the game was all the way down in West Palm Beach which is an hour and a half south of us.  Just the logistics of moving all the equipment needed is a daunting task to say the least.  Tony Brown, Coach Wilson and myself all come in early to make sure everything is loaded in the trailer and ready to go.  We check, then double-check to make sure we have everything.  I am really anal about the wristbands, flip boards, color cards, head-phones, and the FOOTBALLS for the game.  I personally have to load all of these items to put my mind at rest.  This stuff is our life-blood for the offense, and if I forgot anything I could never forgive myself.  I have nightmares about forgetting something.  I told you before.....I am a sick man. 
 
I am a weird dude.  I have several reoccurring dreams which still haunt me.  In one dream, I cannot remember my damn locker combination in school.  All my books and personal items are in that damn locker, and I can't get it open in time for class.  In another dream, I am flying in Piper Cherokee (I am really a Private Pilot or those of you who do not know) and I have flown the plane into the power lines by my house.  I wake up in a panic and I do not know what to do.  I also have the newest dream about forgetting the footballs for the game.  This is not a dream, this is a NIGHTMARE scenario for me. 
 
Back to Friday night.  We load all player's equipment bags into our trucks and head South.  We arrived at the school at 5 PM.  This was our first trip to this school, so we did not know where to go.  Unfortunately, no one at their school knew where we were supposed to go either.  We were given the run around for about 30 minutes before being directed to a private entrance located between two retail tile stores off 45th street.  One we parked, we had about ten minutes before special teams came out at 5:50 pm.  We had a normal special period, a normal stretch period, and a normal INDY period before going inside.  Then, the game started......and so did the weather.  We jumped all over them from the start, and quickly took a 14-0 lead in the first quarter.  Then, lightning stuck nearby, and the stadium was vacated for 90 minutes.  A severe weather storm cell was passing through, and we all got soaked.  The game resumed at 9 pm.  We pretty much beat them up until the score reached 35-0.  Then we got on the buses and returned home at 1AM.  We bagged up the clothes and took them up to the laundry room.  I got home at 2:15 am. 
 
My boy Mason left the game on Friday night.  His knee is giving him fits again, so Hilary took him out, or he took himself out....I don't know which; however, I know he was on crutches after the game.  I feel bad for him.  Coach Miller and I gave him a hard time after the game...all in fun.  I have stopped using a certain term when speaking with Mason....I found the term to be a little degrading.  Instead, I have started calling Mason Honey Boo Boo.  LOL.  He hates this, which makes me love it even more.  I call him Honey Boo Boo, and he calls me Kentucky Inbred or Turtleman.  LOL.  It's all good!  I love this kid. 
 
 
Laundry Bags Full of WET Uniforms. 
 
I had the day off on Saturday.  But, I made about six trips to school taking care of the team's laundry from Friday night.  The four bags you see above are about one half of what was actually there I thought about leaving this stuff for Sunday, but when I opened the door to the laundry room, the smell told me to get started on it immediately.  I was completely out of the Oxi-Kleen which I have been using for our WHITE uniforms.  So, I quickly went up to Publix and purchased a small box to get through the weekend.  Marty will pick us up a large industrial sized box this week from SAMS.  We dressed 45 kids for the game, so I washed 45 pairs of pants in one load with some extra TIDE detergent and Oxi-Kleen.  Same thing with the jerseys.  All the filthy uniforms came out beautiful and bright white.  I am wondering if I should wash the pink socks all by themselves?  Will they fade?  Will the colors run?  I don't know, so I guess I will ask Marty.  My shit says: Football Coach not Laundry Man!  
 
I am DONE!  Check with me tomorrow!
 
GZ

No comments:

Post a Comment