Wednesday, August 22, 2012

WEDNESDAY. Last Practice day.


 
 
 Coach Miller and his "Black Tip" Sharks 
 
Great picture huh?  I just love these dudes.  This photo was taken (under the stadium) right after our rain/lightning shortened practice.  Generally, our defense wears regular blue practice jerseys; however, last year the defensive coaches put the starting defense in black mesh practice jerseys and nicknamed them "BLACK TIPS" which is a species of Sharks down here in Florida.  Black Tip Sharks are known for schooling together, and they sort of swarm after their prey.  When we are on Offense, this is exactly what these guys look like as they make adjustments to our alignments.  See the big kid kneeling in the middle?  This is PORK CHOP!  I guess I should explain.  When Chop was a freshman, he was a short fat kid who could not run at all; moreover,  he could not get into a stance to save his life.  I said to him: "Boy, you are THICK, just like a big-ole PORK CHOP"  Guess what?  The name stuck with him, and he embraced it.  Today, Chop is a fantastic young man with a great personality.  I really like this kid.....and he is a BEAST to handle.  As the season progresses, I will introduce you to all the kids; however.  Pay special attention to the first two boys on the top roll (L-R)  #20 is Bookie Taylor, and Javonte King is right next to him.  I have mentioned them quite a few times in this blog, so nothing more needs to be said right now......except for this:  Our opponents better get ready to be hit!. 
 
Obviously, we had a normal Wednesday practice for us.  I went out early with the QB's and Centers again.  I sat on the ground and observed all the QBs taking snaps and tweaking here and there.  Already, I can see a BIG difference in how we performed.  These boys have practiced 200 snaps in two days.  I had a good coaching session with the centers, and explained why a GOOD shotgun snap was so important to everything we do.  The entire timing of a play can be ruined by an extremely high or low snap.  As I get older and more experienced,  I find myself explaining WHY we do something a certain way.  I generally will say: "Hold ON, lets talk football for a second"  Then, I will explain what we are doing and why we are doing it a particular way.  Sometimes, I will ask a player: "Tell me why you did that"  or "You TELL ME what happened?"  In my opinion, if a player can explain what he saw and the reason for his actions, then he truly understands what we are trying to teach.  Things are sure different in today's football.   
 
Back in the old days (LOL, I am sounding like my Dad) if a coach told you to run through a wall, we tried to run through the wall.....we never asked questions.  A coaches authority or was never challenged in any way.  Back in the day, if a coach did not like you, he would try to run you off one way or the other.  I already shared a story earlier about my old HS Coach and his stupid "Challenge" game.  Let me share another story. 
 
Our Freshman team needed a new Head Coach.  One of the local coaches (Coach J) was recruited to coach this team, and this really pissed off one of our coaches (Lets call him Coach Ass)  Coach Ass wanted to coach this Freshman team himself, and he made no secret of his desires.  The new coach (Coach J) had a son who was playing on our JV team.  Coach ASS decided to punish the new coach by running off his son (making him quit)  from the JV team.  I will never forget this day:   Coach Ass lined up our kickoff return team....all eleven (11) of us.  Then, he called out Coach J's son (John) to the field by himself .   Coach ASS told John to kick off the ball and run straight down the center of the field.  Then, he ordered all of us to attack John and punish him.   I remember thinking: "What the hell is this?" John kicked off the ball and did what he was told to do.  We kicked the crap out of John as ordered.  Coach ASS said: "AGAIN"  So John kicked the ball again and I was the first to reach him.  John fell down and I sort of covered him and said: "John, STAY DOWN  we are not going to hurt you anymore!"  Coach ASS says: "AGAIN"  Another player yelled "COACH, HE IS HURT!"  John was led off the field and never returned to the team.  We later found out he had a severely bruised kidney, and he was pissing blood for weeks afterward.  Luckily, the entire staff was replaced the following year, and Coach ASS was never seen again.  I can't even imagine something like this happening today. We would be fired in a heartbeat and probably sued later. 

 
 

 Randy Bethel (Head Coach) Holding Court 

Our kids are ready to play...plain and simple.  We really need to hit someone else in colors other than blue and black.  The game plan is set, and there is nothing more we can do as coaches.  The kids seem focused and ready to play. Tomorrow we have a complete game walk-thru practice. 

 
 
More Tomorrow.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment