Monday, August 27, 2012

RAINED OUT

 
 
 
Tropical Storm Creating Havoc outside my Shop 
 
 
Today was just a bad day all together.  The tropical storm passing through the state stalled over our area and dumped inches and inches of rain on us.  Inside of this tropical front, there were embedded thunderstorms and tornadoes.  Finally, the school district cancelled ALL after school activities...including football practice for all Indian River County Schools.   Apparently mother nature does not care that this is VERO BEACH week for us, and we have a lot to do for preparation.  I am sure our practice fields are under water, so this is going to be a fun week. 
 
Randy called a staff meeting today after the kids were sent home, and we got some bad news.  Apparently, Coach Chris Jefferson slipped in the parking lot and seriously injured his knee.  Somehow, he ripped the knee cap off his large quadriceps muscle, and he will require surgery on Wednesday.  I may have not mentioned this, but Coach Keith Matthews is also out for a while; however, this is good news.  Matthews received a Kidney transplant  after waiting for some time.  We are happy for him.  He will be back next year for sure.  People say that everything happens in threes....I am almost afraid to report for practice tomorrow.  Good luck to all my coaching brothers...we are thinking about you. 
 
I am still working from the house this evening.  Just for fun, I am looking at additional video on hand from a future opponent.  I got a text message from Coach Miller and he is doing the same thing.  Right this minute I am watching "Pawn Stars" on TV and watching video on my computer.  It is still raining outside, and my dog Raleigh is under my feet.  He HATES thunderstorms. 
 
 
 
Water Cows:  Fred (L) and Wilma (R) 
 
These are the infamous "Water Cows" I often mention in my blog.  I completely built the one on the right from scratch, and I rebuilt  the one on the left.   All of the factory pieces on the original have been replaced with off-the-shelf parts available at any home improvement center. I designed and built the water manifold on both units.  This is so important, because the replacement parts on these things are next to impossible to find.....and they are VERY expensive.  Now, I can keep each one running indefinitely.  If you were to purchase these units new, they would cost between $1500 - $1700 a piece.  I built the one on the right for just under $300 and this includes the new pump, battery, and two wheeled dolly.  I have an idea about building a LARGE water unit mounted on a 4 wheel wagon with 10 or so watering points.  I think I could double or even triple the water capacity we currently take on the road with us.  Who knows, this may turn out to be a business for me.  Man, that would be awesome. 
 
I'm done.  See you tomorrow night. 



 



No comments:

Post a Comment