Tuesday, August 21, 2012

TUESDAY I am starting to get Sick...I think!


Bart Starr- QB- Team Captain  

Another great photograph.  #15- Bart Starr was the the quiet leader (and Captain) of the Green Bay Packers under coach Vince Lombardi.  Starr was a 17th round draft choice in 1958 after attending the University of Alabama.  The QB was the son of a military man, and he led the team by example.  He once said to Lombardi: "Coach, you can chew me out all day long behind closed doors, but you can't chew me out if front of the other guys and expect me to lead them!"  Lombardi never chewed Starr out again...in front of the other players.  Bart Starr led the Green Bay Packers to  five NFL Championships and he also led the Packers to victories in the first two Super Bowls in 1967-1968.  (MVP) 

This week just feels different.  You can sure tell its game week.  I got to school early today and took care of the water.  I asked the QB's and Centers to come out before practice and get some snaps.  I paired up Hakeem with Finnegan- Hatch with Taylor-and  Dion with Perkins.  Each QB/Center pair took at least 100 snaps today, and I feel like it was productive.  This is going to become a daily thing for us I think.  It is amazing how a simple thing like a QB/Center exchange can go so wrong so quickly.  It may be the center is short snapping, or the QB may be pulling out too quickly....or both.  Today, I sat down on the ground beside the QB's and observed every snap. 

We are going to start Hakeem Rainey this week, and I am pretty stoked about it.  He has earned the start.  People forget that Hakeem is a really young senior QB, so he is pretty up and down with his emotions....just like any HS student is.  Want to know the difference?  Hakeem "Accepted the Risk of Leadership" when he became a QB.  If it was easy to do, then we would have fifteen QB's instead of three. Consequently, being a QB is the hardest job on the team because all eyes are on you on every play.  Sure, QB's get the glory when they throw a TD pass; however, the QB also takes the blame when the ball is intercepted.  The QB cannot dwell on a mistake, for he has to move on to the next play.  I have complete confidence in my QB, and I am POSITIVE  he can do the job for us.  Rainey will surprise a lot of people.  Remember, my own son (MIKE) was a QB, so I truly understand the pressure the QB has on his shoulders. The "Lessons in Life" that Rainey is learning now will stay with him forever. 

I am sorry, but I am tired....and I still have to look at some video tonight.  So, I am going to end this a little early. 

Later 



1 comment:

  1. Football is a labor of love...I spent about 3 hours in the office after practice working on the game plan, studying a little more film, and making sure I am doing everything I can to make sure the defensive players will be in the best position possible. Once practice is done it is really out of the hands of the coaches...coaching is done Monday thru Thursday, not on Fridays. I have complete confidence in the kids. As a defensive coach, I appreciate what the offense does. The longer they are on the field, the easier our job is!!!! I am the biggest fan of the offense and I am going to do whatever I can to help them.
    Like Coach George, I am tired. The grind is wearing me out. However, we will not be out worked!!!!!

    ReplyDelete