Friday, August 10, 2012

End of Week. Scrimmage Tomorrow.

                                           

                                       Vince Lombardi:  He Started it All 


I think this is a cool picture of Vince Lombardi taken in 1968.  #64 in the background is Jerry Kramer who was one of my heroes when growing up.  My Dad modeled his coaching style after Lombardi....just tough, tough, tough.  If you have not seen it, I would suggest watching HBO's documentary on Vince Lombardi.  You Tube also has some nice footage.  Lombardi is still one of the most quoted coaches ever. 

Back to Sebastian River High School Football (SRHS)  We finished up the regular practice week today with an abbreviated schedule because of lightning and rain.  Instead of practicing in the morning, we had a normal afternoon practice, and we got caught by the weather for the first time this year.  Mr Stutzke asked that the entire football team attend a cheerleader function at 6:30 pm on Friday; so, instead of practicing in the morning and bringing our kids back in the evening, we decided to practice later.  No big deal, it worked out fine even with the lightning delay. 

The kids are practicing at a high level right now.  Coach Perry and Coach Miller really have their kids flying around the ball.  Sometimes, it is even difficult to get off a damn play on offense.  I am not going to get into the details of personnel and exactly what is giving our offense issues, but lets just say that I am happy those guys are playing on our team.  Truthfully, we (on offense) know the defense so well, and the defense knows the offense so well, it is difficult to get a true reading on how good (or bad) we actually are.  I have been looking at football players and football teams for many years, and I believe we are in pretty good shape.  (If any of our opponents are reading this blog, this is about all the information you will get from me...LOL) 

I wonder if it is possible to have a brother of a different race?  It is amazing on how similar Coach Tony Perry (TP) and I are.  We are constantly comparing our likes (and dislikes) and they are almost identical.  Perry says: "Man, we are the same person!"  I really like Tony.  Perry has been our Defensive Coordinator (DC) for several years.  I told a story (in an earlier blog) about how it was deemed necessary for Randy to make a major coaching change for this year... a decision not popular with the rest of us.  But, I am happy to say that we kept our staff together for another season.  Perry is a fantastic football coach; and he will actually listen to any coach willing to offer help or offer an opinion.  TP coaches defensive backs and corners.  His kids understand speed and angles like no one else I have seen before. Moreover, he is also the Head Coach (HC) of the Track Team at SRHS.  Perry, Wilson, Jefferson, and Fleming have won the district title several times, and their track program is considered one of the best in the state.  I worked with Perry all summer (on the track) for football conditioning.  He had many running drills for the players, and he changed them daily.  Somehow, the players never realized how far they were actually running....or what they were actually doing.  Before they knew it, the players were SPRINTING  2200 -2700 yards per day....amazing.  I never thought of presenting the distance in Yards instead of Miles.  The kids never knew it. 

I am a huge supporter of football players running track.  Most of our skill kids run track, and they are among the fastest kids in the area.  Track and football go hand in hand....especially sprinting and running hurdles.  You can sure tell the track kids when we are running drills or conditioning......just smooooth. 

That's it for tonight.  Scrimmage Tomorrow.  I will try and post something tomorrow night; however, I am going fishing with some buddies  I will definitely get caught up Sunday. 

GZ
                                                       
                                     

1 comment:

  1. We had great focus today even with the break in practice because of the weather. It was good for our kids to go to the event for the cheerleaders. It is good for them to show school spirit just as the cheerleaders do for them. I can remember in my high schools days (growing up in South Carolina) everyone had school spirit. The entire student body and community came out and supported the football team (and cheerleaders)!!!! It was a great time!!!
    I agree on the topic of Coach Perry. TP and I have worked together for years. He is a GREAT coach and would do anything for his players (and fellow coaches). I have learned a ton from Coach Perry. He is a super guy to work with. He is a huge reason we have such great continuity among the defensive staff. More importantly, his kids love playing for him!!!
    As for the scrimmage tomorrow.... Well let's just say the coaches love to compete as much (or maybe more...LOL) than the kids

    ReplyDelete