Thursday, August 30, 2012

DONE: Ready to PLAY NOW!


 
Outside Shark's Stadium 
 
Well, its game time.  My stomach is completely tore up, and I feel like crap.  I can't watch any more video because my eyes hurt so bad,  but I feel like I should be doing something to make us better for tomorrow night.  I just got a text message from Miller, so I guess he is feeling the same thing.  We had a normal walk-thru game practice today.  We rehearsed the entire game from start to finish, and we were off the field by 4:30.  We have our game plans in place.  We have our equipment ready to go.  We are just ready period. 
 
 
I have been playing a competition game with my QB's the past couple of weeks.  I sort of learned this game from Jay Cutler when he was attending Vanderbilt University.  Let me explain.  When Kristin (my daughter) was attending Vanderbilt, she got a job working in the Athletic Department at the university.  Naturally, ole Dad got a chance to hang out with the football program while I was in town.  I attended several Vandy practices so I picked up quite a bit from their coaches and players.  I watched Jay Cutler and Eric Kressler stand at mid-field and see how many footballs they could "ping" the football off the crossbar.  It was amazing how many times these dudes could hit the crossbar from the 50 yard line.  I sort of stole the idea from them.  
 
 
Here are the rules.  The ball will be placed anywhere on the 20 yard line.  I assigned each QB with their own center to form a team.  The QB must use correct QB form and take a snap from center.  The QB will throw the football and try to hit the crossbar.  I also have a variation of this drill called "Bucket Drop"  I place a big trash can in the corner of the endzone.  The QB throws a fade route and tries to sink the ball into the trash can directly in the corner.  (I have a feeling this drill is going to pay dividends very soon)  Each miss counts as 1 point.  A fumbled snap will cost 5 points.  The "team" who finishes with the lowest score wins two (2) Subway $5.00 Gift Cards.  Next week it may be  Little Caesars Pizza Coupons.   More than anything else, I wanted to form a relationship between the QB and the center, because they win it as a team.  I guess it must look like fun, because Coach Bethel wanted a couple of shots today too.  Even Coach Willis gave it a go.  I know is sounds dumb, but we are all just kids ourselves.  Competition is good at any level.  

 
 
 Trainer Hilary Lange and her "Death Cart" 
 

 
This is Hilary Lange, and she is our medical trainer.  She has a big-time education with Elon University in North Carolina, and she does a fantastic job for us.  She is surely an improvement over the ugly guy trainers we used to have. LOL.  Truthfully, Hilary is up on the new medical treatments and emergency care, and we depend on her expertise.  I certainly appreciate everything she does.  Now, I can't say the same thing about her "Death Cart."    The last place you ever want to see one of your players is sitting on Hilary's cart with an ice bag strapped somewhere on his body.  I tell the kids all the time:  "Stay Away From The Death Cart"  unless you absolutely have to be there.  Not every little hurt has to be seen by Hilary.  Shoot.  I will look at it myself!! Generally, I just thump it with my finger and tell them to get back to practice.  Believe me, if it is serious, I am calling for "HILARY!"   She is also our "Lightning Lady!"  Hilary has this little device which measures Lightning (in the area)  I know something is going to happen when she walks onto the field holding the little device.  Next thing you know, she is saying: "That's It, Go in Now!"    Guess what?  We have to go in.  Powerful little lady. 
 
 
 JV Team Getting Ready 
 
 
After the Varsity practice today, I got a chance to go and watch our JV team practice a little.  I love watching these young dudes.   At SRHS, we have a Varsity Team and a JV Team.  We almost always assign our 9th graders to the JV team (there are exceptions)  We will send down some of our older players when they need some playing time  to get better.  Sometimes, we may be particularly deep at one position, so instead of letting players ride the bench, we will send them down to get some playing time.  We have a solid coaching staff to support them too.  The JV Team also plays at Vero Beach on Tuesday Night, so guess where I will be?  LOL.  Hey, it's FOOTBALL. 
 
 
See the Shark in the picture?  Several year's ago, our arch rivals in our district stole  the shark off the wall and held it hostage.  Back then, the Shark was mounted much lower on the wall, so it was much easier to reach.  The whole thing was documented by MTV and featured on one of their shows.  Now, the Shark is mounted much, much higher.  Have to admit though....it was a funny prank! 
 
I am done.  See you tomorrow. 
 
GZ
 


No comments:

Post a Comment