Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Getting Better



 Ray Nitchke- All-Pro Middle Linebacker  

This photograph pretty much sums up Ray Nitchke.  During his day (in the 1960s ) Nitchke was the most feared linebacker in the NFL.  Nitchke was mean and nasty  and a ferocious hitter.  I wanted to be like Ray Nitchke (on defense) when I was a kid. 

Today is Wednesday, and we had another good practice.  The emphasis was on OFFENSE today, so we got a pretty good look at our all of the kids who will be playing on our side of the ball.  Bookie Taylor and Javonte King spent some time with us today, and they sure make a difference at the wingback position.  I love how physical these kids are.   Our offensive line is maturing and coming together.  I can't believe how big the players are today....much bigger than we ever were.  Must be something in their food. 

Today I was  filling up the coil coolers with ice, and I see this HUGE kid (and his parents) walking up towards me.  This kid was at least 6'4" and 300+ pounds.  To make thing even better, DAD was a big guy, and Mom was a bigger lady....perfect!  I introduced myself, and found out this kid was entering the 9th grade. He had never played football before because he was always too big.  Hey, you know what?  We have a place for him!  LOL.  I have no idea on how athletic this boy is, but I know this much.  He will sure look good on the sideline.  Anyway, I saw Coach Joe Nathaniel (our Head JV Coach) walking up and I yelled:  "HEY JOE!  I have a present for you!"  LOL.  This kid was about as big as Joe.  This may be interesting.  I think Joe may have a pretty good team this year. 

Joe Nathaniel is our JV Head Coach, and Offensive Line Coach.  Joe is a big powerful man....pure and simple.  Joe is at least 6'5" and 350 + Lbs.  He played offensive guard for Eddie Robinson at Grambling University.  You would think a guy that size would not be able to move too well, but this is not the case with Joe....he is surprisingly nimble and agile.  I would have hated to line up across from a big ole rascal like him.  We travel together quite a bit on road trips and scouting missions, and we can go ANYWHERE safely....LOL. 

I got a little aggravated at practice today.  We ran a some SCOUT offense at the very end of practice, and it was nothing like it was yesterday.  It seems like we just could not get organized, and the whole process made me look like an incompetent ass.  Then, I realized what was happening.  Yesterday when we performed so well, we had the older reserves running the scout team.  All these players (at least) had some experience running with the scout team.  Today, we had an influx of the really young freshmen trying to help out, and they were trying to work themselves into the scrimmage.  I appreciate the effort; however, I never really knew who was in and who was out at any given time.  It was hard to align everyone according to the cards.  Miller and his bald head was turning beet RED with anger.  Perry was pissed off too. Finally, I yelled:  "STOP!!! NO MORE SUBSTITUTIONS!"  I WANT THE GUYS WE RAN WITH YESTERDAY!  DON"T COME IN THIS HUDDLE UNLESS I CALL YOU!" After I got control, it was all good again....except I was running with a Freshman QB.  Truthfully, he was not too bad. 

I owe the defensive guys an apology for half the period.  I promise it wont happen again....as long as I can run the period as I need to.  I just want to make the defense better, and I take the responsibility seriously. 

BYE! 

1 comment:

  1. Coach, you don't owe any one an apology. It is just a learning curve for the young guys. We all are in this together!!!
    The picture is AWESOME!!! As a former linebacker (and long time linebacker coach), I really can appreciate that!!!

    ReplyDelete