Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Practice Over. Getting Ready for Game


 Peyton Manning. 
 
In my opinion, Peyton Manning is one of the greatest (if not THE GREATEST) QB to ever play the game.  Believe it or not, I picked up Manning in the 2nd round of my fantasy draft. I have been so used to seeing him in the Colts uniform that the Bronco's uniform almost looks funny to me.  Manning is coming off a major neck injury, so I guess the Colts thought he was through  Too bad for them.  I think Manning will have one of his best years ever. 
 
GREAT practice day today.  We had a full practice, and everything went according to our practice plans that Bethel had prepared.  Today was our last full practice before our game with Vero Beach on Friday night.  Both units (Offense and Defense) got plenty of reps against each other, and the intensity is building with our kids.  Bethel had another motivation session with the kids today, and as usual, he knew exactly what to say to bring the kids where they needed to be for practice.  Miller and I ran the PUNT Team today, and we will hit the rest of the special teams tomorrow.  I ran the scout team again today, and I thought we did a great job giving the defense what they needed to see.  Miller and Perry both said "Great Look" to me today, so I am pretty happy about that.  As a coach, I do not want to disappoint my fellow coaches either.  Right now, we are short staffed, so we all have to step up and get it done.  I think the players sense that we are all stressed, so they are focused on the task at hand without a lot of talking.  Good bunch of kids we have. 
 
Want to hear about another water problem?  Two of the three practice fields are a wet sloppy mess.  The furthest field away- The Band Field- is bone dry.  However, we do not have running water within 200 ft of any water outlet.  So, I have been bringing out the Battery Cows (Fred and Wilma) to get water to the field.  Problem is that the players use this water up quickly, so we are constantly having to refill the water tanks.  Today, I looked over to the sideline, and Coach BETHEL himself was walking Fred and Wilma to the locker room to refill the tanks with ice and water.   LOL.  This was pretty funny to me.  Like I said, we are a little short staffed, so we all have to pick it up a little.  (Damn, I should carry my phone to the field for moments like this. ) No worries though.  I am going to the Depot for a longer garden hose to reach across the field.  Even with the drop in water pressure, the coil cow will get us by for awhile.  Or, we could just hand out the salt tablets!! 
 
 
Our Locker Room Smells
 
Have any of you ever wondered what the locker room looks or smells like?  Here is a good example.  With all the stuff laying around, it reminds me of my son's room at the house (before the Army fixed him)  What does it smell like?  Have you ever left a wet dirty towel in the bottom of a clothes hamper for a long time?   Remember that "Ripe" smell it had?  Now, multiply that smell times 80 players.  Remember, yesterday we all got soaked in the rain.  All those wet clothes sat in the player's locker all day long.  Mix the wet along with the sweat, and I think you have a good idea of what it smells like.   In a strange kind of way, I sort of like it.  I know, it's weird.  However, any coach will tell you the same thing.  It just means our kids are working hard. 
 
Sweaty Wet Players (the Big Boys) Coming off the Field
 

I have a gross locker room story before I let you go.  When I was playing, we had an RC Cola soda machine right outside our locker room.  I remember that for 15 cents, you could get a cold RC Cola, Nehi Grape, or Orange Crush soda in a can.  They sure tasted great after all those damn salt tablets  they gave us.  Anyway, there was this one teammate who would always grab your soda off the top of  your locker and drink it down.  It always pissed us all off to no end.  I decided to teach him a lesson. I made sure he saw me buying a Nehi Grape.  I drank down the can about half way, then I proceeded to fill the can back up with piss and set it on top of my locker.  Naturally, he made his way around the locker room and saw the can of soda sitting on top of my locker.  I watched him grab the can of soda and proceed to kill the can.....sort of!  His eyes got real big and he hurled all over the locker room floor.  LOL.  GOD that was funny.  We all laughed and laughed.  We had no more issues. 
 
Later  

No comments:

Post a Comment