Thursday, August 23, 2012

Practice is OVER. GAME TIME

 
 
 
My Grandson:  Grice Westberg 
 
 
So, what do you think about my boy?  Good looking kid huh?  Look at the size of his hands.  Grice is the newest (and last I think) child between my daughter Kristin and her husband Joe.  Those of you who know me understand that I am CRAZY about my two granddaughters (Kelsey and Kirby) and I did not think there was any more love in my heart for another grandbaby.  Boy, ole Coach was wrong again!  Somehow, Grice has made a nice place in my heart as well.  Fact is, I am absolutely nuts about all of Kristin's kids...plain and simple. 
 
Many of you know that my own son (Mike) was a QB for Sebastian River High School (SRHS)  However, this is not where the Zaleuke QB connection started at SRHS.  Grice's Daddy- Joey Westberg, was also a QB at SRHS.  I hated Joey in school because he always wanted to date my daughter.....and I was dead set against it.  I remember one time during team stretch, Joe asked me: "Coach, how come your daughter only dates those SISSY boys in school?"  I think I said something like: "Because I don't want her dating jackasses like you!"  LOL.  (Truthfully, Joey reminded me of myself when I was his age, and that scared me too much.)  Most of the boys on the team KNEW Kristin was off-limits to date, so I did not have to deal with that too much; HOWEVER, Joey transferred to SRHS during his junior year, so he did not know about the Zaleuke Rules of dating my daughter.  I think I fended it off for the most part, but all of that was about to change. 
 
Kristin attended Vanderbilt University for five years.  Toward the end of her tenure at Vandy, I noticed that Kristin was spending quite a bit of time in Atlanta, and her fuel bill was showing it.  Hmmmmm.  What was in Atlanta?  Well, a marriage and three grandchildren later, I guess you can figure out who was in Atlanta.  That's ok.  He is still a jackass, but I love the kid.  He gave me Kelsey and that changed my life forever. 
 
 Oh...back to SRHS Football.  I am literally getting sick to my stomach tonight.  I texted a little with Coach Miller, and he is feeling the same way I am feeling.  We have done all we can do.  The coaching is over.  The preparation is over.  All we can do now is guide the players and hope they perform like we know they can.  My QB's have taken about 400 snaps in three days.  I think we are ready to go with that.  Hakeem finished the week strong and focused on his job.  I KNOW he is ready.  I want to thank Zach Finnegan, Jordan Taylor, and Zach Perkins (our Centers) for jumping in and working with the QB's this week.  Yes, I know I pressed you guys a little, but I PROMISE the extra work will pay off. 
 
Look.  I need to quit talking about SRHS football so I can sleep tonight.  My stomach is turning already.  We play tomorrow night in Melbourne at 7PM.  If you guys are reading this blog, please mention it to me when you get the chance....and give me your honest opinion. 
 
See you tomorrow night!  GO SHARKS!!  


1 comment:

  1. Yep he is your last grandchild (from me anyway!) I hope he can make his Pappaw proud and based on his size and the football blood he has running through his veins, I think he will.

    Good luck tonight Sharks.. Nothing like football season. Nothing!!!

    ReplyDelete